A ｓurvey concerning the smoking habits of university students : Smoking conditions and the cognizance of smoking
Health-Related behavior, Smoking habit, Anti-Smoking education, Health education
This research is an attempt to clarify the mechanisms of how a non-smoker picks up smoking habits by explaining the consciousness of smoking as well as by revealing the present actual conditions of smoking among university students. It will, by using data and measurement, evaluate how the social and psychological factors, and other various influential factors in our environment affect the behavioral patterns of smokers.
The main goal or purpose of this reserch is to consider the borader topic of a health education which is more effective.
The method used for this survey: A group of university students were devided into two groups ―smokers and non-smokers; the aim was to do a comarative approach toward their smoking behavioral patterns.
The results of the survey were as follow:
1) Among Freshmen, 52.6% of male students and 8.3% of female students had experience of smoking.
2) Most students started smoking at high school, our of curiousity or from peer pressure.
Whether smoking becomes a habit or not is determined in one’s teen-age years.
Two-thirds of these students who started smoking become inveterate smokers in less than three months after starting; however, the time span for the addiction to smoking seems to have become shorter in recent years.
3) When asked why they smoked, some of these college students answered that they do so because smoking tastes good. Cigarettes among these people are considered as items that suit one’s tastes (like one’s favourite) foods.
4) Many of the smokers continue smoking despite the fact that they are concerned about the dangers of smoking. The number of cigarettes smoked per day varies from person to person; many seem to smoke everyday.
However, those who are trying to give up smoking have a tendency to smoke fewer cigarettes per day and less frequently.
5) Many in the group of smokers have people around them that are also smokers, signifying that they have an environment in which they can pick up smoking habits without any resistance. Whether one’s family members (especially father), close friends or acquaintances smoke is an important factor which determines whether an individual takes up smoking habits or not.
6) Smokers generally realize the inconveniences caused for non-smokers.
An extra care, however, is not given towards these non-smokers when the smoker is actually smoking.
7) NON-SMOKERS usually have a strong feeling against passive smoking: they often feel uncomfortable.
However, it is an instinctive aversions to the smoke of cigatettes and not a medical reason. Many are indifferent to the medical hazards of smoking surprisingly and have a tendency to permit their friends to smoke.
8) A large number of students in the non-smoking group are putting ideal health behaviour into practice. The majority in the smoking group, on the other hand, are unable to do so. Many of these smokers are concerned about their health; however, those who can actually change their life styles so that they can lead healthy lives, is relatively few in number.
9) In most cases students received a high school education to dicourage smoking. This has been effective in decreasing the number of cigarettes smoked per day.
10) Education to prohibit smoking has been effective in university as well. It is not only informed the students of the hazards of smoking and the dangers to one’s health but, though few in number, it has acutually given some decision to quit smoking after receiving such an education.
In conclusion, smoking is closely related to the hygienic behavioral patterns of the individual, and the environment is important in the formulation of smoking habits. Presently many non-smokers have no concern about cigarettes and cigarette-smoking.
This indifference should be considered when thinking about what kind of health education should be offered, and the dangers of smoking should be taught at home as well.
Smoking is not something that should be prohibited only among minors, it is something that one should abstain from throughout one’s lifetime. Therefore, it is important for one to realize the dangers that accompany smoking by learning over and over again how to abstain from smoking through proper health education.
Therefore, to have a better understanding of health in general by receiving the proper health education is required, this means that one should acquire a proper knowledge on one’s own health, reflect and improve one’s life environment and ultimately reform one’s health behavioral patterns.